JOIN OUR TEAM
Break Through Cancer is a 501(c)3. We are a growing team based in Cambridge, MA. We offer full benefits, competitive salaries, and are committed to equal opportunities in employments. Learn more about our open positions below.
To apply for any of these positions please submit a cover letter and CV or resume to email@example.com
Break Through Cancer is a new type of foundation that empowers outstanding researchers and physicians to intercept, as well as find cures, for the deadliest cancers by stimulating radical collaboration. BTC is a first-of-its-kind collaboration of five of the top cancer research centers in the world: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, MIT’s Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Break Through Cancer is focused on several of the world’s deadliest cancers: initially glioblastoma, AML, ovarian, and pancreas cancers. These are diseases with poor prognoses for which progress has been very slow. We are looking beyond conventional therapies, utilizing new strategies, structures, and thinking from across disciplines, with the goal of enabling discoveries at an unprecedented pace. Since its inception in 2021, Break Through Cancer has made investments totaling over $100M in an ambitious scientific portfolio.
Making project teams across five institutions function as if they were all working within the same laboratory requires world-class program management, including strengthening relationships and alliances, overseeing compliance/IRB and intellectual property obligations, and managing projects and deliverables to succeed on appropriate timelines. Projects include substantial executional complexity including complex relationships with academic, hospital, and industry partners. Resolving complexity and engaging scientific teams closely to empower project teams and deliver impact is critical to Break Through Cancer’s success.
Data Science Engineer
Alongside many of the finest minds in cancer research, you will tackle some of the hardest open problems in areas of greatest unmet need and apply the results directly to patient treatment across the nation. Part of what makes Break Through Cancer compelling is our founding principle that computational methods and data are an integral part of the entire research, development, and treatment process—not merely a quantitative afterthought. This ethos is codified into the design of our first-of-kind Data Science Hub, which aims to rapidly unify the most advanced patient and molecular data with analysis methods and visual tools to analyze and explore them, making all of it accessible in as timely, frictionless, and simple manner as possible––regardless of one’s level of technical sophistication. As an enabler of biological discovery and facilitator of patient treatment, the Data Science Hub will be a vital strategic asset in our portfolio and bedrock element of all disease research teams and clinical efforts.
In this role you will provide data engineering and software development expertise to interdisciplinary projects ranging from basic research & discovery to clinical sample processing & analysis and machine learning models. Motivated by the chance to help decipher fundamental biological processes that directly impact patient outcomes, the ideal candidate will exude a deep passion for science and through this will:
- co-develop and/or maintain pipelines, software, databases and/or UIs for such
- embrace collecting, annotating & shepherding access to internal & external data
- prioritize data credibility towards the extraction of actionable scientific insight
- continuously optimize scalability, software & data quality, and internal SOPs
- harden, benchmark, and deploy cutting-edge bio-informatic methods
- iterate with stakeholders on requirements gathering to identify & fill gaps in data, software tools and documentation
- The Ideal Candidate Would Possess These Experiences and Skills
- B.S or M.S. degree in CS, Math, or Bioinformatics; Biology candidates with considerable evidence of successful coding experience may be considered
- 2-5+ years’ experience in similar role (clinical/biotech/pharma setting a big plus)
- Proficiency in SQL databases (Postgres preferred; NoSQL a plus) & extracting insight from evolving or unstructured data into warehouse
- Proficiency in developing /using APIs to collect data, process & compute upon it
- Experience with public datasets used in biomedical research
- Experience performing root cause of failure analysis on data & processes to answer specific research questions or identify opportunities for improvement
- Portals for data visualization & dashboarding with Jupyter, PANDAS, Streamlit, R/Shiny
- High-throughput computation on cloud infrastructure (preferably GCP and/or AWS)
- Strong oral & written communication skills, and attention to detail
- Capable of working from incomplete information, without micromanagement
- Able to systematically prioritize deliverables across multiple projects
- Strong drive and resilience in the face of challenges, with positive attitude
- Evidence of ability to translate external software tools, data repositories or research publications into concrete deliverables aligned with organizational goals
Proficiency In or Exposure to the Following Would be Strong Pluses
- NextFlow, CWL, WDL workflow orchestration languages
- Terra, Synapse, CodeOcean, Foundry data management & analysis systems
- Storage, pipelined analysis, and interpretation of large-scale:
- DNA and RNA sequence data (bulk and single cell)
- spatial profiling and pathology image data
- clinical data elements
- Multi-omic bioinformatics, statistics, data cleansing, integration, and analysis
- Biomarker discovery, clinical trial sample processing and analysis
- Cloud and/or big data toolchains: Docker, Kubernetes, Spark, Kafka, Hadoop
- Oncology, immunology, immunotherapies for cancer
Scientific Portfolio Manager
Break Through Cancer seeks an organized, passionate, and enthusiastic Scientific Portfolio Manager to report to the Senior Director, Science Programs. The primary responsibilities of this role will be to work closely with Break Through Cancer virtual research communities called “TeamLabs” to manage timelines, deliverables, and expenditures for specific project(s) and to support Break Through Cancer-funded scientists to proactively identify and overcome key executional barriers.
- Serve as proactive and engaged liaison to specific projects within the Break Through Cancer portfolio; Working closely with Institutional project managers, clinical research coordinators and TeamLab members to align goals and meet timelines and deliverables for experimental, clinical, and computational aspects of projects;
- Manage and provide support for TeamLab meetings, presentations, and written reports;
- Manage and track TeamLab progress, budgets, and expenditures, communicate with stakeholders, and implement metrics for monitoring success;
- Organize content for training sessions and engagement activities including retreats, in-person team meetings, and hackathons;
- Lead internal scientific summary meetings to keep the Break Through Cancer team fully updated on TeamLab progress and challenges
- Prepare notes and minutes for key scientific meetings and well as strategic programmatic memoranda, and;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences required; advanced degree (e.g. master’s or PhD) in biology, medicine or equivalent experience preferred;
- Experience in managing complex collaborations across multiple disciplines, departments, and institutions; experience with Agile preferred
- Expertise with project management (human subjects and large-scale datasets preferred—ideally in both academic and industry environments);
- Familiarity with budgeting and reconciliation;
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment to promote and drive superior team performance;
- Excellent external and internal communication, organizational; and
- Solutions-oriented problem solver.
To apply for the Science Portfolio Manager role, please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address the following in your cover letter:
- What has motivated you to apply for the Science Portfolio Manager role at Break Through Cancer, and in particular, what inspires you to work for a foundation that is dedicated to cancer research?
- Describe your experience managing multi-institutional collaborations
- Provide examples of how you have navigated politically complex and matrixed environments
Break Through Cancer is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We treat our fellow Break Through Cancer colleagues and applicants fairly and respectfully. We seek to employ people with skill and integrity, and provide them with the means to develop professionally. We hire without regard to race, color, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (including neurodiversity), genetic information, veteran status, and any other legally protected group, in accordance with applicable federal, state, or local law.
Break Through Cancer seeks an organized and enthusiastic Program Administrator to report to the Senior Director, Science Programs. The Program Administrator will be an integral member of a collaborative, committed Science Team (e.g., Science Programs and Data Science teams). The position is based in Cambridge, MA. Employees are expected to be onsite a minimum of 3-4 days per week.
- Provide administrative support for the Chief Science and Chief Data Officers (CSO, CDO), which may include proactive calendar management, filing, meeting, meeting preparation, drafting/editing correspondence, following-up on meeting-related actional items to ensure appropriate follow-through is in place, arranging travel, etc.
- Schedule and support virtual and in-person meetings on behalf of the BTC Science Programs and Data Science teams with stakeholders from five different cancer centers, pharma, biotech, staff, etc.
- Provide support for executive level meetings (e.g., Scientific Advisory Board, Technology Review Committee, etc.). Includes working directly with the CSO and Programs Team to develop meeting agendas, manage invitations, coordinate follow-up activities, etc.
- Assist Science Programs and Data Science teams with key tracking activities including data tracking and indexing, and managing application processes as necessary.
- Maintain systems to ensure smooth operations for the Programs team.
- Work with travel agency on travel planning, prepare expense reports and reimbursements.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A minimum of five years of administrative experience or equivalent; bachelor’s degree; ability to anticipate, prioritize, organize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously; a proactive approach to problem solving; excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills; accuracy and keen attention to detail; ability to function efficiently despite frequent interruptions and deadline pressures; discretion, tact, and ability to manage confidential information; ability to work independently and as part of a team. Must be proficient with Mac OS, Microsoft Office Suite including MS Teams, Slack, and Adobe Suite; willing to learn new applications as necessary. The ideal candidate will be flexible, comfortable with ambiguity, and have a strong interest in cancer research.
To apply for the Break Through Cancer Program Administrator position, please submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Break Through Cancer is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We treat our colleagues and applicants fairly and respectfully. We seek to employ people with skill and integrity, and provide them with the means to develop professionally. We hire without regard to race, color, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (including neurodiversity), genetic information, veteran status, and any other legally protected group, in accordance with applicable federal, state, or local law.
Break Through Cancer seeks a highly motivated, experienced Communications Manager with a scientific writing background to join our dynamic team. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive communication strategies to advance our mission to intercept and cure the deadliest cancers. The Communications Manager will report to the Chief Communications Officer.
The position is located in Cambridge, MA, and employees are expected to be onsite a minimum of 3-4 days per week.
- Develop and execute comprehensive communication strategies to promote Break Through Cancer’s research initiatives, programs, and the scientists who work in our funded TeamLabs;
- Write and edit scientific content for various publications, including scientific journals, annual reports, and newsletters, as well as development and collateral material
- Develop and implement digital and social media campaigns to promote Break Through Cancer’s initiatives and engage with key stakeholders
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, including scientists, clinicians, and staff;
- Manage project timelines, budgets, and deliverables to ensure timely completion of communications projects;
- Collaborate with other Break Through Cancer teams, including philanthropy and events, to ensure a cohesive, integrated approach to communications;
- Ensure all communications materials are accurate, clear, and consistent with Break Through Cancer’s brand and messaging; and
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in cancer research and communicate findings to relevant stakeholders.
- Support the Chief Communications Officer and other leadership on projects important the mission of Break Through Cancer
- Scientific writing background required
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years of experience in communications or marketing in a scientific or healthcare-related field
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Flexible work style, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and ability to work within tight timelines
- Strong writing, editing, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of cancer research and the scientific community is a plus
To apply for the Break Through Cancer Communications Manager position, please submit a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Break Through Cancer is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We treat our colleagues and applicants fairly and respectfully. We seek to employ people with skill and integrity, and provide them with the means to develop professionally. We hire without regard to race, color, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (including neurodiversity), genetic information, veteran status, and any other legally protected group, in accordance with applicable federal, state, or local law.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Break Through Cancer was created in February 2021 with an extraordinary matching gift of $250,000,000. Every gift to the Foundation supports groundbreaking cancer research and helps us to meet our matching commitment.
For questions about giving or to see a copy of our latest 990 filing please email Lisa Schwarz, Chief Philanthropy Officer at LMS@BreakThroughCancer.org