JOIN OUR TEAM
Break Through Cancer is a 501(c)3. We are a growing team based in Cambridge, MA. We offer full benefits, competitive salaries, and are committed to equal opportunities in employments. Learn more about our open positions below.
To apply for any of these positions please submit a cover letter and CV or resume to email@example.com
Break Through Cancer is a new type of foundation that empowers outstanding researchers and physicians to intercept, as well as find cures, for the deadliest cancers by stimulating radical collaboration. BTC is a first-of-its-kind collaboration of five of the top cancer research centers in the world: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, MIT’s Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Break Through Cancer is focused on several of the world’s deadliest cancers: initially glioblastoma, AML, ovarian, and pancreas cancers. These are diseases with poor prognoses for which progress has been very slow. We are looking beyond conventional therapies, utilizing new strategies, structures, and thinking from across disciplines, with the goal of enabling discoveries at an unprecedented pace. Since its inception in 2021, Break Through Cancer has made investments totaling over $100M in an ambitious scientific portfolio.
Making project teams across five institutions function as if they were all working within the same laboratory requires world-class program management, including strengthening relationships and alliances, overseeing compliance/IRB and intellectual property obligations, and managing projects and deliverables to succeed on appropriate timelines. Projects include substantial executional complexity including complex relationships with academic, hospital, and industry partners. Resolving complexity and engaging scientific teams closely to empower project teams and deliver impact is critical to Break Through Cancer’s success.
Scientific Portfolio Manager
Break Through Cancer seeks an organized, passionate, and enthusiastic Scientific Portfolio Manager to report to the Senior Director, Science Programs. The primary responsibilities of this role will be to work closely with Break Through Cancer virtual research communities called “TeamLabs” to manage timelines, deliverables, and expenditures for specific project(s) and to support Break Through Cancer-funded scientists to proactively identify and overcome key executional barriers. This position is based in Cambridge, MA. Employees are expected to be onsite 3-4 days per week.
- Serve as proactive and engaged liaison to specific projects within the Break Through Cancer portfolio including the Data Science Hub; Working closely with Institutional project managers, clinical research coordinators, data engineers, data coordinators, and TeamLab members to align goals and meet timelines and deliverables for experimental, clinical, and computational aspects of projects;
- Work with other portfolio managers to implement and execute data sharing practices within teams and across the portfolio;
- Manage and provide support for TeamLab meetings, presentations, and written reports;
- Manage and track TeamLab progress, budgets, and expenditures, communicate with stakeholders, and implement metrics for monitoring success;
- Organize content for training sessions and engagement activities including retreats, in-person team meetings, and hackathons;
- Lead internal scientific summary meetings to keep the Break Through Cancer team fully updated on TeamLab progress and challenges
- Prepare notes and minutes for key scientific meetings and well as strategic programmatic memoranda, and;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences required; advanced degree (e.g. master’s or PhD) in biology, medicine or equivalent experience preferred;
- Experience in managing complex collaborations across multiple disciplines, departments, and institutions; experience with Agile preferred;
- Expertise with project management (human subjects and large-scale datasets—ideally in both academic and industry environments);
- Familiarity with budgeting and reconciliation;
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment to promote and drive superior team performance;
- Excellent external and internal communication, organizational; and
- Solutions-oriented problem solver.
To apply for the Science Portfolio Manager role, please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address the following in your cover letter:
- What has motivated you to apply for the Science Portfolio Manager role at Break Through Cancer, and in particular, what inspires you to work for a foundation that is dedicated to cancer research?
- Describe your experience managing multi-institutional collaborations.
- Provide examples of how you have navigated politically complex and matrixed environments.
Break Through Cancer is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We treat our fellow Break Through Cancer colleagues and applicants fairly and respectfully. We seek to employ people with skill and integrity, and provide them with the means to develop professionally. We hire without regard to race, color, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (including neurodiversity), genetic information, veteran status, and any other legally protected group, in accordance with applicable federal, state, or local law.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Break Through Cancer was created in February 2021 with an extraordinary matching gift of $250,000,000. Every gift to the Foundation supports groundbreaking cancer research and helps us to meet our matching commitment.
For questions about giving or to see a copy of our latest 990 filing please email Lisa Schwarz, Chief Philanthropy Officer at LMS@BreakThroughCancer.org